Sunday, January 18, 2009

The Giver by Lois Lowry

The Giver by Lois Lowry

Blogger: Nerdy
Type: Fiction, Book
Age Group: YA
Response: I finally read this one! I've been told a long time that I HAVE to. I wondered what I was missing. I knew it meant to be a thinker, but it was different than I anticipated. I somehow thought The Giver was exiled an from the community. I'm glad there is a squeal, which I'll have to get to soon. I'd really like to know what the next story was all about. I'm curious to see if this orderly society breaks down.

The giver is a great thought provoker for younger readers. I never read it for school, but I can see why this would be a favorite in English or Reading class. Symbolism and themes. Lots of room for discussions.

But personally it really made me wonder about the good and bad in a society that is so carefully structured. Everyone was taken care of and it was set up so everyone was safe and happy. But self discovery seemed to be non existent. Being an individual is impossible. Would I give that up for being safe...? Of course not, BUT all the same, being taken care of is a nice thought. Trained for a job, being given all I needed to survive.. it is a nice thought. But I couldn't give up the freedom to do what I wanted for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Made by Lena